Welcome to EyeWiki, the Eye Encyclopedia written by Eye Physicians & Surgeons
EyeWiki is where ophthalmologists, other physicians, patients and the public can view articles written by ophthalmologists, covering the vast spectrum of eye disease, diagnosis and treatment. Any qualified ophthalmologist or ophthalmologist in training is invited to contribute content to the wiki.
Featured Article for June 30, 2020
In the early stages of Fuchs’ dystrophy loss of endothelial cells and small excressences of Descemet’s membrane can be seen. These excressences are called “guttata” and look similar to microscopic mushroom caps on the on endothelial surface of the cornea. These guttata are visible on slit lamp exam. The endothelial cells may appear larger than average and may have embedded pigment. With time fluid from the anterior chamber will collect in the corneal stroma increasing the thickness of the corneal stroma causing reduced vision. With more advanced disease the swelling, or edema, collects in the epithelial layer of the cornea causing small blisters called bullae. With chronic edema, fibrotic tissue will form in the subepithelial space and invade the cornea leading to further corneal opacification. Permanent scar tissue eventually will develop in the cornea that will require surgery to remove.
- Access EyeWiki on the new AAO Ophthalmic Education App.
- Academy CEO, David Parke, MD, presents a perspective in EyeNet: EyeWiki, Do you Wiki?
- 2020 Residents and Fellows Contest is now open. U.S. residents and fellows can take advantage of a phenomenal online publishing opportunity and win an all-expenses-paid trip to the Academy’s Mid-Year Forum in Washington, DC. Submit by Dec. 1 (midnight, Pacific Time) for a chance to attend the 2021 Mid-Year Forum. Winners will also be considered for presenting their work at the AAO Annual Meeting.
- 2021 International Ophthalmologists contest is now open. Contribute to EyeWiki before June 2, 2021, for a chance to win online products from the Academy. Winners will also be considered for presenting their work at the AAO Annual Meeting.
- Former EyeWiki Editor-in-Chief, Brad Feldman, MD, discusses the thinking behind the EyeWiki initiative with the American Medical Association Journal of Ethics.
- Getting Started
- Rich Text Editor User's Guide
- Sign up for an account to contribute to EyeWiki
- Content guidelines and more information
- Unsure which articles are needed? Check the list of suggested topics.
- Read the EyeWiki copyright rules before posting new content.
- View Section Portal pages.
Section Lead Editors
- Cataract/Anterior Segment
- Alpa S. Patel, M.D.
- Cornea/External Disease
- Vatinee Bunya, MD
- Ahmad A. Aref, MD, MBA
- Andrew Go Lee, MD
- Ocular Trauma
- Anna Murchison, MD, MPH
- Michael T Yen, MD
- Matthew W. Wilson, MD, FACS
- Pediatric Ophthalmology/Strabismus
- Monte A Del Monte, MD
- Refractive Management/Intervention
- Alaa Eldanasoury, MD
- Jennifer I Lim MD
- Alan Palestine, MD